Serving Size: 4 servings
whole mackerel, gutted
sprigs of fresh rosemary
head of garlic
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the barbecue or grill.
- Wash the mackerel well and pat dry with paper towels. Score each side of the mackerel with 2 diagonal slashes. Push a rosemary sprig in each slash.
Break the garlic into individual cloves and peel. Push each of the remaining 4 sprigs of rosemary through several cloves of garlic. Lay one garlic-clove studded sprig inside each fish. Brush fish with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Lay the fish on top of the hot barbecue or grill and cook for about 5 minutes or until the flesh is firm and opaque. Carefully turn over the fish and grill for another 4-5 minutes until cooked through.
- Grill the lemon halves, cut side down until lightly caramelized, 3 – 4 minutes
- Serve each fish with a caramelized lemon half.