Snow Crab Mac & Cheese
Cavatappi Pasta (or desired pasta) cooked and strained
250 gr (dry)
Snow Crab (large pieces reserved)
1 lb drained
¼ cup minced
New Bay or Old Bay
White cheddar (1 cup shredded, 1 cup chunked)
Chopped herbs – parsley, chives, dill (preference)
Mix all ingredients and set aside
¼ cup melted
¼ cup grated
In a bowl, mix all ingredients very well
Fine sea salt
Ground dry mustard
Ground dulse (dried seaweed)
Ground black pepper
Ground white pepper
- In a medium saucepan, make a roux, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted.
- Add the flour, stir until smooth.
- Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden color, about 4-5 minutes.
- Heat the milk in a separate pan until warm.
- Add the warm milk to the roux mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth.
- Bring to a simmer, cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
- Season with salt and new bay, add grated cheese and set aside
- Fold mornay sauce, crab, chunked cheese and pasta together with herbs and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease casserole dish
- Place noodle and cheese mixture in dish, add large pieces of crab and sprinkle with gratin crust
- Cover with parchment and tin foil
- Bake 35-45 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered or until golden brown
- Remove from oven, rest for 5 minutes and serve