Scallops in Puff Pastry "Jardinière"
Box puff pastry, frozen
Small egg yolk
Butter or margarine
Carrot cut in strips
Celery cut in strips
Zucchini, cut in strips
Red bell pepper cut in strips
Small garlic clove
Fish stock or bouillon
Fresh lemon juice
Old style grainy mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Thaw puff pastry. Roll out. Cut into six rectangles. Cut a thin strip from edges.
- Criss-cross strips for a motif on top. Whisk egg yolk with a little water and brush over pastry.
- Place on baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cook 20 to 25 min or until golden.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and sweat vegetables covered over low heat until tender. Reserve; keeping warm.
- Sauté in butter and olive oil, until slightly opaque no longer all translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Melt butter over low heat. Add shallots, garlic and cook without browning until tender. Add vermouth; reduce till dry. Sprinkle flour and cook for a few min without colouring. Pour in stock and whisk, cooking until smooth. Add cream, mustard, lemon juice mix well.
- Cut pastry crosswise in half; cover bottom piece with sautéed vegetables, topping with sauce and seared scallops. Cover with the upper part of pastry.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Richard Chiasson