Mackerel with Lemon Stuffing
Serving Size: 4 servings
whole mackerel, split and bone removed
4 – 175 g (6 oz)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
bay leaf, crumbled
Olive oil or unsalted butter
15 ml (1tbsp)
Small onion, peeled and finely chopped
Fresh white breadcrumbs
85 g (3 oz)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Mount Scio savory
15 ml (1 tbsp)
- Stuffing: In a frying pan, heat the olive oil or butter over a medium high heat. Add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes or until golden. Stir in the savory and cook 1 minute. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with the remaining stuffing ingredients. Set aside.
- Lay the mackerel, skin side down, flat on a board and sprinkle with lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the prepared stuffing onto 1 side of the fish. Fold the other side over the stuffing and reshape.
- Place in an ovenproof casserole, barely cover the bottom of the dish with water and add the bay leaf.
- Cover the casserole with a lid or greased parchment paper or foil and poach in a warm oven 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until the fish feels tender when pierced with a skewer. Lift fish onto plates and serve immediately.